Saturday, November 7, 2009

Following my dream

Recently, I've felt more proactive in the pursuit of an expertise which could help me find a niche in a job I am truly interested in. I find entrepreneurship and the media industry two area which captivate my attention. Below is a brief discussion as to my interests and reasons for wanting to enter this industry.

2 years of film school:
During my freshman and sophomore years of college, I attended Ithaca College in the film program. We had classes which range from film production to analyzing the aesthetics of good film in the classroom setting. While I enjoyed the classes, one thought constantly bothered me: what am I going to do for work when I graduate with this degree? For several reasons this bothered me (1) we were using film when video was the new stranded, (2) I was talented but by no measure the best, (3) the excess of labor supply as compared to the demand (i.e., more film students than jobs), and (4) relatively inconsistent/low pay as most of my classmates who went into production now work as freelancers. With these thoughts in mind, I concluded to best serve my long-term career I needed business knowledge, which at the time was more than limited, so I enrolled in our business school dual majoring in accounting and finance.

2 years in business school:
My time in business school was very interesting as I felt as though I were taking the right steps towards long-term success because the accounting and business knowledge could be broadly applied to most industries. The one I wanted to use my knowledge in was film. I reached the conclusion to enter the film industry through a more nontraditional role (the finance side) rather than straight through a production oriented career path.

Graduation:
When I started to look for a job, I wanted to work for a big four accounting firm to realize the benefits of working on a large media and entertainment client to (1) learn all I could about the business and (2) evaluate the different career paths ahead of me. I interviewed and landed a summer internship and was able to internally navigate my way onto a media and entertainment client (many, many emails).

Change in perspective:
Now having some experience under my belt (1.5 years), I've been able to see the inner workings of large media and entertainment companies (from operations, finance, production, etc.). If I have learned one valuable lesson about the M&E industry, it is that the business model is drastically changing-a sort of destructive chaos is occurring where the more traditional career paths (moving up within a company) are less frequent because of the migration of content (movies, shows, etc) to the Internet. The Internet has change the fundamental economics of the industry in a fascinating manner which has emerged because of the consumers almost unlimited choice of what content they want to view and in what manner. Because of this change, large media companies are grappling with the need adapt their dated business models to capitalize on the new economic model. And this is the nexus which leaves me uniquely positioned to create a career which helps these companies do just that. At this point, I am not sure how but I am sure the need will soon need to be filled.

No comments:

Post a Comment