Sunday, November 29, 2009

Behind the Scenes

For those individuals who feel an entrepreneurial spark or find a moment of clarity and inspiration, we all have ideas which strike us as "ah ha's!": our great idea, the one which will catapult us to the top of our personal Mount Everest. How do those climbers go from inexperienced trekkers to literally climbers who ascend to the summit of their greatest challenge. Well, they simply start climbing whatever they can-a mound, a hill, a mountain, a big mountain, a really big mountain, and so on. So here I am, an inexperienced trekker in the business world looking to ascend my own personal Mount Everest (whatever it may be as sometimes the summit is obscured when viewed from the base camp).

The thought of climbing scares me. I fear the climb. I fear taking the steps up a mountainous terrain which is alien to me. Truly the analogy only goes so far. Put simply, I am scared to death of failure. As people, our identities are entwined without sense of place in the world. I've always needed other people to vindicate my ideas and tell me I am good enough. As such, I compare myself to everyone else. Then I came across one interesting blog post on one of my favorite blogs Get Rich Slowly had a post (here), which struck me as "ah ha!".

"Don’t compare yourself to others....Comparing myself to others is counter-productive. It only makes me feel inadequate. Who cares what other people write, or how well? What’s important is simply producing the best work I can. All I can be is myself."
~J.D. of Get Rich Slowly


So to start climbing, I have decided to give my ideas a space where they can develop, and at some point maybe materialize. So here it is (deep breaths).

Climb 1: Behind the Scenes
I love movies. I love books. I love ideas. Most of all, I love the process of creating ideas. The behind the scenes footage on DVD's, interviews with authors, and basically any creative project captivates me.

My idea is simple: a "behind the scenes" space where creative individuals (and teams) can chronicle the movement of their ideas from wherever ideas come from into the world. Perhaps, a virtual space mixed with different media to create a compelling, immersed experience for anyone interested in the project. Imagine a sticky environment where you can engage your audience or potential collaborators.

Although this idea above is a simple paragraph, it is a powerful concept. Rather than just view/listen to a finished product in any media, the audience almost becomes a collaborator. The audience can immerse themselves as deeply as they like in the process from idea to reality. This involved process is much more personal, and has the potential to change the final product. Content may still be king, but the queen could easily be the process to create the content.

So there you have it. This post is me proclaiming to the world that my ideas are worthy of a place in this world, I will try not to be afraid to fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment