Monday, November 2, 2009

Follow your dreams

For the past year and a half I have worked for one of the big four accounting firms with the mentality from the bottom to the top. However, I have felt a tension between the ubiquitous ambition to move up in the organization (as I am sure all entry-level employees feel at larger companies) and my own personal sense of direction (both professionally and personally).

I have suffered from "when I grow up syndrome", which translates to putting off the things we want to accomplish for the more practical day-to-day responsibilities. When we think someday I will be smart enough or rich enough, its easy to deffer dreams until tomorrow. Lately, one thought has stayed with me, however disturbing--what if we'll never be better than we are today. Not in the sense of a moral or smart person, but more in the sense of being prepared or up to whatever challenges await us. I work for a large company who "makes markets" based upon the work done by people exactly like me. Maybe its time to stop doubting and start believing.

I am not saying to quite your job and move to a studio in Soho to sell stick figure paintings in the name of passion. No, I mean maybe we do not have to settle, working day in and day out without passion or energy. Perhaps, we can only be truly successful (however YOU define success) if we are energized/inspired by our jobs.

In the short-term, the reality is we most likely will not have the jobs we want; in fact, they could be down right monotonous (**cough cough**). But in the distance, if we work towards our passions and have a bit a patience, maybe we can reach beyond our grasp to touch the spark which drives us.

No comments:

Post a Comment