Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The son of the carpenter who built the ladder climbing the rungs

My father is a carpenter. As a boy, I admired my father’s ingenuity for building marvelous creations from the most ordinary of material—a few boards and some nails. But with patience and a learned degree of skill, he knew the time he invested in his projects yielded something extraordinary from the ordinary. I remember watching him in his shop for hours, rarely stopping for a break. He had no formal education beyond a high school diploma, but for me observing his dedication was an entirely different education. Naturally, my admiration for his craft turned into ambition to follow in his footsteps: to possess his skill and creative talents. However, growing up my father refused to teach me carpentry. Instead of using my brawn on a construction site, he challenged me to work in the classroom.

This example of skill and commitment during my upbringing infused me with an insatiable urge to learn. I felt (and still feel) education was the means to live a dynamic and vibrant life. Over the years, I poured over my studies with the tenacity of a wolverine. I studied and worked for countless hours. I was by no means the smartest, nor am I now, but I was able to stand shoulder to shoulder with the smartest. I was the first in my family to graduate from a four year college. Soon after I took a job with a big four accounting firm where I have began my ascent up the proverbial ladder. And with each rung, my urge to learn and grow swells into a visceral excitement pushing me forward. As such, I feel the need to create my own niche professionally.
In the traditional sense, I have no direct urge for monetary rewards beyond the ability to afford the necessities. I just want to inspire and give back to others the way my father has inspired and nourished me. From where I stand, education is the means to achieve this long-term goal.

Side Note (Food for thought)
I have always wanted to temper my insatiable creative urges with a solid foundation in business. Using both creativity and business acumen; right and left brain; ying and yang--whatever you want to call it. In my film school experiences (when I endulged my creativity) and accounting experiences (when I utilize mostly quantitative methods), the pursuit of a solely quantitative career without creativity (and visa versa) feels void of any real passion. I believe passion is the hallmark of all success (no matter how you define it).

No comments:

Post a Comment